Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chely Wright Opens Up About Suicidal Thoughts




Earlier this week, Chely Wright came out as gay.

But that's not the most dramatic news this country music singer has to share with the world. In an interview with Access Hollywood, Wright divulged that she was very close to suicide.

The low point of her struggle with homosexuality, Chely said, took place during a discussion with fellow artist John Rich. She relayed it to the entertainment news show as follows:

“He said, "You're not gay are you?!" I said, "No, John, I'm not." He said, "Good, thank God." And that began a spiral for me. I had a meltdown shortly after that.”

Chely Wright Image

This self-described meltdown culminated with a loaded gun in Wright's hand.

“I was looking at myself in a mirror... as I was about to do it. I just looked at myself and something snapped and I started to cry... and I realized I have too much to live for. I may lose my career in country music, that will break my heart, but it's okay. I have a lot of different pieces of my heart that matter and that's what I've come to learn.”

As we've said before, Wright's admissions would seem less opportunistic if they came during a week that did not involve the releae of an autobiography and a new album.

But why be cynical? Here's to hoping this singer has found inner peace and is moving in a positive direction with her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment